Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cookbook Challenge. Week 1. AFR-Creamy Mushroom Fettuccine

I really can't go wrong with anything in this cookbook! 3rd winner in a row! The thing I have liked most about the recipes I have made so far from AFR is that it only takes one serving to fill me up, more often than not I find myself going back for seconds, not the case here. On the menu for tonight was Creamy Mushroom Fettuccine. I was a little hesitant to make this recipe because I either love recipes with mushrooms or I hate them, but since I am obsessed with anything that has balsamic vinegar I decided to give it a go. And I am so glad I did! I made this recipe exactly as it was written except that I added one crown of chopped broccoli that I had leftover from making Mac and Trees last night, and I used white cooking wine since I had no dry white wine. I also made garlic bread on the side to sop up the extra mushroom goodness.

I sauteed the garlic and threw in the mushrooms, broccoli and some thyme and cooked them for about 5 minutes and then I added the cooking wine and let that cook down. Next up was some Creamy Portobello Mushroom Soup mixed with some cornstarch. After that thickened up I added some balsamic vinegar and after that was the cooked fettuccine.Topped with some chopped green onion, it was perfection.



Let's talk about my garlic bread now.... If they had garlic bread contests I'm pretty confident I would win. No joke, it's fucking awesome. I think everyone needs to experience this garlic bread so I will share my recipe with you...

Fuckin Awesome Garlic Bread
1 loaf of Italian Bread cut lengthwise down the middle(I only use one half, if you want to use both, double everything below)
4 tbspn olive oil
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tbspn dried rosemary crushed
1 tspn crushed red pepper
1 tspn salt
1 tspn black pepper
nooch

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350

In a small cast iron skillet heat the olive oil on low and add all ingredients, except nooch. Let heat for a few minutes to release all of the flavors into the oil. 

Using a pastry brush, brush oil onto the bread and scoop all leftover garlic and seasoning from pan onto the bread and spread out. Sprinkle nooch on top of the bread. 

Bake for about 10 minutes or until bread is getting golden brown and toasty but the inside still has some freshness and chewiness. 

Slice, sop up any sauce on your plate and fall in love.



So really, if I haven't convinced you to go buy this cookbook yet, I don't know what else to do. Except post more delicious recipes? Ok fine........... But only one or two more and then I'm moving on to Veganomicon for Week 2 of The Cookbook Challenge so you're on your own!

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! I'm slacking on the challenge...I'll definitely make your f-ing awesome garlic bread!

    ReplyDelete